School picture day is November 7

Monday, January 11, 2021

A new book and some new math skills: Monday in third grade

We had a marvelous Monday!  Again, we were very busy, but we accomplished a lot today.

We started by warming up our fine motor skills.  We used Play-Doh to do this.  I saw many creative creations!

We read a realistic fiction book today.  The Chalk Box Kid is an older book, but still loved by all!  After reading and discussing it, we made our own chalk pictures.  Your child's reading assignment for tonight is a story of his or her choice from the school text.  

We covered a couple of skills in math today.  First, we reviewed subtraction with 4 digit numbers.  After subtracting each problem, we then added our answer to the number subtracted. If we got the number that we started with in the subtraction problem, then we knew we were correct.  For example. 5,213 - 1,234 = 3,979.  Then we took 3,979 and added it to 1,234. Since 3,979 + 1,234 = 5,213, we know our answer is correct.

We also went over more multiplication strategies and songs.  

We were able to get in some Istation time today, as well.  

I am sad to say that spellingcity.com has given their business to another company, and it is not what I bought, so I have requested my money back.  I tell you this only to let you know we won't be using spelling city anymore.  I will see if I can find a replacement.  The children loved it, and it improved their spelling skills.  I will miss it!

No comments:

Post a Comment