School picture day is November 7

Friday, August 17, 2018

Class looks at the effects of what they say


Our second day went so well!  I have an amazing group of children!

We started with some minute math practice for our morning work.  

In reading, I read the book Mr. Peabody's Apple.  It is about a man being accused of stealing an apple.  It started from a rumor and spread quickly through the little community.  We discussed how we shouldn't say things that aren't true or kind.  Because once they are out, they can never be taken back.  Even if a person apologizes, the damage is done.  We then took old bottles of glue that I had last year and emptied them onto construction paper.  I told them the glue represented unkind words or untruths.  Then I asked if they could take a toothpick and put all of the glue back into the bottles.  Of course, they knew that wasn't possible.  

We also summarized the book by beginning, middle, and end.  They wrote and/or drew about each.  They also wrote or drew about their favorite part of the book.

In Writers' Workshop (language) we started our writer's notebooks.  We labeled them.  Then we made a list of things that really happened to us so that if we ever have writer's block we could look at our list of things.  

In science we finished setting up our notebooks.  We made our table of contents and numbered a few pages so that we are ready.

In math we finished our pre-test. Some were worried about not knowing some of the answers.  I reassured them that it was OK.  I also told them I just wanted to know wat we needed to work on the most.  We also made a graph from tally marks we made.  We voted on our class mascot's name, so we took that information and put it into a bar graph.  We also worked with simple addition.

Our class mascot is a tiger named Rocky.  He is going home with me this weekend.  I will journal about what we did over the weekend.  I will read it to the class on Monday.  Then I will draw a name to take Rocky home Monday night.  It is important that Rocky is returned each day so that the next child gets to take him home.  

I hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

No comments:

Post a Comment