School picture day is November 7

Wednesday, September 14, 2022

Everything you need to know about your third grader's teacher

How it all started….

When I was in the elementary school as  a student, I was a very observant child. In my days, you knew if you were in the “Blue Bird” class or the “slow” class. Of course, that was way before differentiation, testing, and so many things we have at our disposal today. And, let’s face it, teachers are now trained better, and they are much more aware. I had some great teachers, but I saw some I didn’t like. I watched and learned. I didn’t like the way many students were treated if they were in the wrong class, had the wrong parents (last name), or were poor.

There were many other things I noticed, as well. But it was a small town. Until I got into junior high, I never really won anything or was considered one of the all-around “great kids.” I was considered one of the smart ones, but I had a colorful family. A dad who hadn’t grown up yet, an uncle who didn’t fit into the “right” mold, and I was always the kid coming in in late, because my mom slept really late! (In her defense, I know now she was depressed.) I am happy to say that my family recovered, and I love them all. I always did, even when they weren’t at their best. From age 4 until 13, I was the adult in my immediate family.  (To balance out the more eccentric members of my family, I also had an uncle who wrote the program that got Neil Armstrong to the Moon and was the manager of the Apollo 13 program who received the Presidential Medal of Freedom.)

I tell you all of this, because I want you to know why I chose the teaching profession. I have always been an advocate for children. Even when I was one myself. I used to shield my brothers, feed them, etc.

I chose teaching because of all of the great teachers I was fortunate enough to have. I also chose it because of the teachers who I felt were not lovers of children -- the yelling, screaming ones who tried to put every single child in the same mold.

When I began teaching in 1984, I was so scared. First of all, we were piloting all-day kindergarten! They gave me a small notebook and put me into a room with 25 5 -year-olds. (It is true. Everything you need to know, you learn in kindergarten.) It didn’t take me long to fall in love with my career choice. I saw the difference the little things could cause. I had a parent tell me they asked their children every night what their favorite part of their day had been at school. I had her middle daughter, and she said she told her it was when I told her how beautiful her hair looked. I didn’t even remember saying it. But kind words, a smile, caring, all of this goes a long way.

I teach children. I do not teach the text. I cover the academics, yes. But each child is his or her own unique person. And I teach them as if they were my own. This has caused many tears on my part, as I do get so attached. They are part mine when they have been in my classroom.

I know you have choices of where to send your child. And now, as I begin my 39th year in the classroom, I want you to know that I appreciate your letting me work with the child you love so much.

No comments:

Post a Comment